Cilantro is a versatile herb and can be used in many dishes to enhance the flavor. One of cilantro’s very closest friends, is lime juice. When paired together something magical seems to happen. For a unique creamy chicken recipe, try this version using both lime juice and fresh cilantro. Your taste buds will thank you (and so will your family).
Creamy Cilantro Lime ChickenCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
Chicken breasts are a common ingredient in main dishes. The biggest problem with cooking them is getting the center cooked while not over-cooking the edges. To get around this problem, I sometimes will slice the breast diagonally into medallions of the same thickness. When the chicken pieces are the same size it will be easier (and faster) to cook them without drying them out.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth (or water)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium/high heat.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to the skillet.
- Cook for 8 minutes, turning the chicken one time while cooking.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, place on a covered plate.
- In the skillet add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute (be careful not to burn it).
- Add the chicken broth (or water), lime juice, cilantro, red peppers flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by 1/4.
- Add the heavy cream and whisk, turning off the heat.
- Now add in the chicken back into the sauce, garnish with cilantro and serve.